Peach Festival 2015!
This weekend, Saturday & Sunday, August 15th & 16th
Check out our "Events" page for details
|Burch Farms was founded in 1779 by Elliot Burch
Burch Farms Country Market is open year round, with both summer & winter Hours. They are proud participants in the Lake Erie Wine Country events & tours. Burch Farms is a local winery with wine tasting and sales.
Burch Farms Country Market also has stands at the local farmer’s market during season. Our selection changes from week to week and season to season, and we feature only the freshest produce. Please stop into our Farmers Market year round to get your fruits & vegetables locally! It's open daily!
|There is also a bakery at Burch Farms Country Market. You can immediately smell the farm fresh bread, cookies, pastries, pies, cakes & cupcakes from this when you first walk in. Customers can order cookie trays & gift baskets to pick-up. We do offer local deliveries.|
|Burch Farms History Facts
There were 25 acres of land when farm was started, in 1779. Now we have over 250 acres, and over half of the land consists of apples.
According to the records of June 7 & 8, 1880, John Burch had 100 acres; 80 were tilled and 20 were in meadow or orchards. The value of the farm was $5,000, which consisted of $300 in farming machinery, and $500 in animals. He had four horses, 23 cows, 24 sheep, and 100 chickens. In 1879 they made 450 pounds of butter, produced 160 bushels of barley, 750 bushels of Indian Corn, 225 bushels of wheat, and produced 300 bushels of potatoes. They also had three acres of 80 apple-bearing trees, which produced 200 bushels of apples.
|In 1928, Herbert Burch decided to leave the dairy business and expand the fruit farm. Herbert and his son James built a shop in which he could repair equipment. He missed the livestock, but not the labor involved. So he built two barns, one three stories high and another four stories high for poultry production. Both barns could hold approximately 60,000 chickens. In 1939, Herbert and James joined a partnership and continued on the same operation for several years. Herbert gave the farm a name, which lacked a written one before this. He called it Northern View Farms H.C. Burch and Son.|
|James Burch expanded the farm to 200 acres and was reduced down to primarily the production of grapes, apples, peaches, and cherries. He also expanded the chicken business, and built yards with 3-foot-high fences around the barns, allowing the chickens to go outside. This gave the chickens more room inside and 80,000 of them were now being raised. When James took over the business, he purchased the first "apple truck" that was needed to haul everything to the markets.
Doug Burch expanded the farm property to 250 acres. He also stopped producing chickens in 1971, mainly producing quality apples, grapes, and peaches. Hence, the farm's name was changed to Burch Farms Quality Fruit Growers. The use of animals ceased in 1969 and machinery then began to do all the work. The grapes were contracted to Keystone Foods, which Douglas was president of for five years.
|• In 1986, the farm was signed over to Douglas from his father, James. Douglas and Timothy joined in partnership running the farm business.
• Tim Burch is the sixth generation to work on the farm.
• Burch Farms pressed cider for the first time in 2000.
• The new Burch Farms Country Market - a 5,000-square-foot market - was opened in 2005.